HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 5 Fan Addicts
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 11:16 AM
kdsberman
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, gave this bird the death penalty this morning at 7:30 AM. And man am i still excited.

Setup in a pop up blind this morning with a heater because temps were below freezing, and I wasnt gonna freeze. Watched the birds fly down in the same field they always do, so i tried calling and calling....nothin. I watched them walk to a neighboring field. So i decided I can either sit here and try calling and probably come out empty handed again, or I can go TO the bird.

So i packed my stuff up, walked over to a field that was butting up to the field that they were in, and noticed 3 strutting toms with hens. I started calling and about 15 minutes later 4 hens started coming my way. So i hurried up and set up and got ready.

About 2 minutes later, those 4 hens walked in at 30 yards. Then i saw another one, thinking it was a tom....Nope. Another hen. Then another bird.........Hen. Im thinking, thats 6 hens, those toms have GOT to be following soon.

So i waited and after about 5 minutes with very light calling, one walked in, saw the beard, took the safety off and sent a Nitro his way, dropping him at 37 yards.

Im happy as heck. Last night the Lions got a solid draft pick, and today I got a solid bird. Good luck to the rest of you guys. Unfortunately for myself, Michigan allows only 1 bird per season, so im done.

19# 10.5" beard (personal record beard) roughly 3/4" spurs