HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A noticed trend
Thread: A noticed trend
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 07:24 PM
GTOHunter
Nontypical Buck

The Trend I've been seeing is a lot of Hunters get caught up into the hype of using a .300,.300 Win Mag and so on and think they need to get one too....then they end up selling it for a lot less money so they can buy a Rifle they can handle and afford to buy ammunition for...unless of course they can re-load?

I live in Missouri and we don't usually go out and make a 400-500 or a 1000 yard shot,sorry but most live in a dream world and personally the closer I let the Deer come to me the bigger the rush and easier I can see what the Buck looks like,does he have a decent rack is he within the limits of what we shoot etc...?

A good Accurate Gun with minimal recoil that A Person can shot well,accurately and knows it limits is better off taking out to Hunt with than something thats going to make You Flinch while shooting...come on we owe the Animal we hunt some respect and we should make a quick and Humane Kill.

You better re-check the prices on some of those Calibers and look at a good Recoil Chart to see what works well and efficently.The .270 WSM shells were running around $35.00-$40.00 a box of 20 shells and I bet the .300 calibers are close to that or even more?

I have used a 30-06 Remington for many years and finally bought a Browning A-bolt Hunter in a .243 and have taken many Does and several nice Bucks with it,the last 2 years I Hunted with a 7mm-08 and simply love it also.....even went out and bought some 125 grain Managed Recoil shells for my other Bolt-action 30-06 and have the felt recoil like a .243 Rifle...talk about impressed and the great groups at the Range!

I'm not Knocking those Hunters/Shooters that can shoot 500-1000 yards,if You have the right Rifle and practice with it to be accurate out to that far of a distance...more Power to You,its just not my cup of tea!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 04-25-2012 at 07:27 PM.