HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A noticed trend
Thread: A noticed trend
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

I agree. There are an awful lot of people out there that shoot very little, if at all, during the year and then get out old Betsy a day or two before the season, shoot and hit a paper plate at 50 yards and call it good. Ones who then go out and miss or wound an animal then read about all these big boomers, as I call them, and think if they buy one of those all they need to do is hit the animal and it's katy bar the door! The friend of Cayugad is similar to what I'm talking about because he probably was flinching with the caliber compared to his 30-06. I have 22LR, 22 mags, and a 22 Hornet for real small stuff, a .243 for bigger stuff up through antelope, although it will do well on deer if you know how to shoot. I also have a 25-06 that I like for antelope and deer, but most of the time I deer hunt with one of several 30-06s and I always go to them for elk. The only reason I see for those 300s, 325s, 338s, etc. is for some really long range hunting out West where a 5 or 6 hundred yard shot might be your only chance at an animal based on the terrain and then I'd be stretching the 30-06 further than I would want to. I won't shoot anything past about 350 yards any more and it's mostly because of my eyes and not because the rifles I have won't go well past that distance effectively.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-25-2012 at 12:11 PM.