HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A noticed trend
Thread: A noticed trend
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

I have no problem with people using the new calibers out there. But you talk to some of them and they are under the impression that the old calibers did not work. Which is just not true. I too, fell for that idea and got a 7mm mag. Great caliber, but is it really that much better then a 30-06 I owned? My Dad hunted many years with a WWII 7.7 ***anese Arisaka Model 99 bolt rifle. Basically a .308. And he dropped deer with that thing out to 200 yards like no ones business. The problem with his rifle is Norma made the ammo and it was expensive. So Dad only hunted with it.

The reason I made this post, the other day a friend came to my house and wanted to show me a new rifle he just purchased. Now remember, we hunt deer in Wisconsin. And it was a 300 Winchester Mag bolt action rifle. Beautiful rifle mind you. The funny part is, he broke out some shells for it... ($32.00 a box he said.. does that sound right?) And then we shot it at my range. The 100 yard target I figured would be a piece of cake for him. But almost immediately I noticed.. he was flinching. He was anticipating the recoil. And I swear I think he shut his eye on one of them, like he was expecting to be socked in the eye. And I thought.. why not a 270 or a 243 even a 308. All of them are much kinder on the shooter. But I bragged up his rifle for him. When he left I told him to leave the grizzly bears alone. We both laughed about that.