HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Opinions on .22 Caliber rifles
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default Opinions on .22 Caliber rifles

Today I decided to treat myself. I went shopping for a new .22 caliber rifle. I looked at three, hands on mind you that caught my eye and made me smile. Although I will come out and state.. the assault style rifles really peaked my interest. The three I handled were;

#1 Henry .22 caliber lever action model HOO1. Wood Stock, forearm, 1-16 twist, iron sights. $292.00 The wood while pretty was nothing special. Very well balanced for such a little rifle. The store refused to remove the trigger lock so I could not examine the lever smoothness or the trigger as well. Seems like a well built rifle. The iron sights were nothing too special. I have shot this particular rifle in the past. My brother owns the same rifle I looked at, and I found it to be very accurate and smooth in operation.

#2 Sig Sauer model 522 in .22 caliber. 10 shot magazine. 1-16 twist. Peep sights. Polymer stock and forearm. Stock is folding and extendable (the folding part would not mean much to me). 6.4 pounds in weight (which surprised me because it looks like a plastic toy). $497.00 It was very well balanced for an assault type looking rifle, shouldering very nice and coming to eye each time. The trigger pull is said to be around four pounds, but they would not let me play with the trigger part in the store. With the Picatinny rail up top, I figured I could throw a Red Dot on it. Would be a lot of fun to shoot by the looks of it. Additional larger capacity magazines can be obtained "I was told."

#3 Smith & Wesson model M&P 15-22 in .22 caliber. 25 shot magazine. Semi Automatic. Cost $427.00 This rifle reminds me of the ones police carry for some reason. The Stock was extendable. The Picatinny rail up top would allow the installment of a Red Dot. The rifle TO ME NOW.. did not shoulder as well as the Sig Sauer. I had to constantly move my face to get the peep sight lineed up. Then I shortened the stock one click in, and it lined up much better for me. Weight of the rifle is 5.5 pounds, almost a pound lighter then the Sig. That surprised me. The trigger is rated at 7 pounds. Can this be right? Also it is 33 inches over all length, two inches shorter then the Sig Sauer. And the barrel is a 1-15 twist.

I did some searching on the internet. I watched videos of both semi autos being shot. The Smith & Wesson seemed to have feeding problems. The Sig Sauer in the video never jammed or failed to feed. Also in a video of side by side comparison by two shooters... both complemented the Sig's trigger and action over the Smith's. Accuracy wise, they were both pretty good with open sights (one video) and with a Red Dot.

I read reviews from manufacturer sights and of course they were all glowing. I was wondering what experience any of you might have with the model of rifle, or the basic style. Also whether you've heard any horror stories of jamming, or poor accuracy.

Another couple I checked out on line only..

#4 American Tactical Import GSG-5 which looks just like the MP5 but in .22 caliber. That also has great reviews. But every placed I checked.. they are out of stock.

#5 American Tactical Imports .22 caliber AK-47. This one I did find. But to be honest, the AK-47 never really did anything for me. Now I have shot them in 5.56mm and they were nice rifles. But I like the assault style better.

Any of you have hands on experience, or knowledge of how they shoot? In a You Tube video, the Sig was fired as fast as they could, with four kinds of Wal Mart .22 shells. And they had one Winchester that was a fail to fire. But the rifle never jammed. Also the accuracy was impressive.

thanks..