HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Coyote pelt
Thread: Coyote pelt
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't say coyotes are worth "much" anywhere, and it varies WIDELY from state to state, even county to county.

For example, I sell to 3 or 4 different buyers every year, mostly just to 2. This season, a raw carcass would bring $2-4, a raw carcass $5-8, and a fleshed and salted pelt bringing $8-10. A fully finished hide, tanned and worked, would bring $30-50, but is worth a lot more retail. OR, you can just take them an ear and collect a $2 bounty that ultimately gets paid by the state DWP.

Now, 100miles away, the "county bounty" was $20 rather than $2. I had to find out late in the season when I had already sold several hides for $6 from my 17yr old cousin who was trapping for the first time this year. So for the difference of a 100mile drive, a guy could get 10x the money for an EAR ALONE. The hides to sellers were going for the same price, but the bounty was much higher due to a localized population boom.

Now, those prices are from KS, not up north where the fur quality is higher, and we had a very mild winter, so the coats weren't quite as thick as I've seen in years past on harsh winters, but in general I've seen fairly similar prices from KS buyers as I did from SD and MN buyers. I do know we had higher quality fur on our dogs this year than I saw out of so cal and TX.