HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 9 Bearded Nation
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 PM
ManofTheFall
Nontypical Buck

I was out Monday morning with my buddy and we saw 4 Tom's and heard many others close bust just didn't see them. The closest Tom we called in came into about 55 yards and hung up on a field edge. We didn't put out any decoys but he must of really liked our calling because he must have been close to 300 yards when we first heard him gobble. About 25 minutes later he was 55 yards out right on the edge of the field gobbling like crazy. He then went about 5 feet back into the woods and jumped up on a downed tree and was about 4 feet off the ground scanning the field and was gobbling non-stop for like 20 minutes straight. He finally jumped off walked away and met up with 2 other gobblers we didn't see but sure could hear. This gobbler was a big boy, 10"-12" beard and a very heavy bird. Earlier in the day we had one come into us to about 100 yards and he was another big one, but he saw some other birds and went off with them. Once again no decoys, but we don't like to put any decoy's out until we actually start hunting. Then around 10:30 we saw 2 nice mid-sized Tom's with 6"-8" beards. I think we patterned them pretty good. So, if we don't get'em at fly down we know the routine they are on. I plan on having my bird before 7am opening day though hopefully if all goes well. April 23rd, here we come!!!!!