HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Defective Remingtons
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 AM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

"You have never watched a single minute? Your undying passion appears to be bashing Remington yet you are going to claim you never watched the single biggest major media report which supports your claims? Thats like being diagnosed with cancer and not reading about the newly discovered cure. Did you refuse to watch because it might affect your objectivity?

That's correct and since you don't know me from a can of paint, you don't know what I watch and don't watch. FYI I very seldom watch any of the regular channels because with my cable setup I get enough sports and outdoor channels that I dont have to watch all the crap that the media puts out. I didn't even know about this issue with Remington until I started reading stuff on hunting websites about it after the story broke on TV. Rather than be biased and tune in to watch what everyone was already calling a hatchet job by NBC, I started dealving into the court cases and documents that were available on the internet. I guess a lot of that came from trying to be as unbiased as I could be from my 30 year career as a LE Investigator where you try to not assume anything because if you do you might miss the most important piece of information to break a case open. It really didn't matter to me that the trigger mechanism we're talking about was only in Remington products because I have never owned any of their firearms. I have no idea what NBC tried to show or do when they ran the issue on TV, other than what I've read in threads like this on the internet, and that's why I've repeatedly stated that I can't and won't make any comments regarding posters saying Remington had a hatchet job done on them. Just the fact that Mike Walker has made sworn statements about the issue and that there have been documents introduced into court cases showing he asked Remington to change his design and that the top brass put in writing that they decided to leave it as is because they figured it was only about 10% of the rifles that they had manufactured was good enough for me. A failure rate of possibly 10% on anything that is produced is WAY too high a rate when it should be a fraction of 1 percent! To think that the 10% figure that was quoted in court documents that were introduced more than once involved a major part of a firearm is more than disturbing, don't you think? Court documents show that they could have changed the design that Mike Walker asked for at only a few cents per rifle and they probably didn't do it for two reasons. One being that it was more money to manufacture each piece, even though it was such a small amount and secondly that they were afraid that it would get out to the public and cause an undue hardship for the company trying to explain what they were doing. It appears that instead of doing that change they decided to emphasize keeping a firearm pointed in the proper direction in case it went off. That is all well and good, but appears to be for the wrong purpose and only to try and lessen their culpability in any future lawsuit that came up involving the trigger connector problem.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-16-2012 at 06:35 AM.