HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 3 "Fan-glorious Few"
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 06:04 PM
onetohunt
Typical Buck

and not for the story.
I went to Kansas on Friday and everything went right for a change. Got a break in the weather it had been storming pretty hard and the wind had laid down. I put my decoy out in a well known turkey area and made a few calls and set and waited. It wasn't to long before a couple of hens made there way through. I made a couple of hard clucks and cut pretty quick on the slate and a couple of gobblers sounded of to my left. Great I was thinking. Before long they made their way out in front of me but there was 3 birds strutting and about 10 hens now. A dream come true!! I had 2 tags for Kansas and you can shoot both birds the same day there so everything was looking good. I kept my eye on the biggest bird and sized up the other two as well as I could without spooking anything. I thought the second biggest bird had finally lined up pretty close to the big bird but it ended up being the smallest of the three when I pulled the trigger with them at about 30 yards. The Winchester Super X2 sounded off and sent the Hevi-Shot blend on its way with the 3 1/2 doing the job. It put the big bird down without a flop and the other bird was knocked down as well but it needed a followup shot on him. I got up to the two and was very pleased to say the least. The second bird was smaller than the bird that I thought I was doubling up on, but hey, I'm not complaining. I sent a few pics and here are the stats on the two birds.
1st bird
23 lbs
10 1/2 beard
right spur 7/8
left spur 7/8
eastern
Your score is 23 + 8.75 + 8.75 + 21 = 61.5 (scored by JW)

2nd bird
20 lbs
5 7/8 beard
right spur 3/4
left spur 7/8
eastern
Your score is 20 + 8.75 + 7.5 + 11.75 = 48 (scored by JW)
Both of the birds were probably 2 1/2 year olds, the second bird just didn't have much of a beard? Oh well, Missouri season starts tomorrow and I will be after another one!!

Last edited by JW; 04-16-2012 at 07:17 AM. Reason: addign scores to the author's post