HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7mmRem mag ???
Thread: 7mmRem mag ???
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 08:35 AM
HatchieLuvr
Typical Buck

I've had 7mags since the late 80s and LOVE them! They just do nearly everything so well, they are easy shooting and very affordable.

With 120-140 TTSX barnes they can reach out and dropkick ANY deer with ease. (and a full throttle 120 TTSX recoils about like a 130 in a 270 or a 150 in an '06) For larger game the 160 TTSX is mighty fine and honestly I feel with the astounding terminal performance and penetration of the 160 monolithics, 175s just aren't needed anymore IMHO. I can assure you whatever can be done with a 175 Nosler Part, Trophy Bonded etc... can also be done with a 160 TTSX (and I bet the Barnes will STILL out penetrate the others!)

If you are the "one bullet for everything" type then you can't go wrong with either the 150 or 160 TTSX. To truly get the most from your 7mag you will want handloads or custom ammo. Most factory fodder in the 7mag is just not very hot. Many years ago when the 7mag was the only mag I had I would stoke it until it blew the necks off the case then I'd backer off about a grain!

If deer is all you hunt with your 7mag just DONT buy a 280 or youll be asking yourself some questions...
HL