HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Berger Bullets
Thread: Berger Bullets
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Rem700h8er
Spike

I've seen all the long range hunting shows, read all the hype, even worked up a load in my 300 WM with 185 GN Berger VLD's. I'm my expirence, I'm not impressed.

They are a long bullet, ultra high BC, but most factory barrels have a fast enough twist, other than some of the 6.5 calibers. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND using the yellow boxes for hunting. They even say, NOT FOR HUNTING.

My friend shot a moose with them 2 years ago, 185's in a 300 Weatherby. No much for penetration, just kinda blew up on impact.

So we tried our own little test. I lined up 10 milk jugs full of water an shot from 200 yards. It absolutly destroyed the first jug, but only penetrated 4 jugs deep. Fragments were spread throughout. My friend with the Weatherby shot a milk jug at 600 yards and it shot right through, no expansion at all.

I shot 10 others with a 200 GN Sierra gameking. It destroyed the first 2 pretty well, penetrated 6 jugs, but the core separated from the jacket. This is known to happen on cup and core boat tail bullets I'm told.

I think they work well on long range shots because they do fragment so easily, (I don't know why they didn't on the 600 yard shot, they say they expand after 3 inches or so and he only hit the very bottom corner, may not have been enough room, but either way, I'm not impressed) so at long ranges when your energy is way down, they can still be devastating. But up close I think they leave a lot to be desired. I won't be hunting with them.

Last edited by Rem700h8er; 04-09-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Clarification