HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pitbulls for Upland Birds?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 PM
TheRedYote
Spike

1. So a dog can fight withour biting ?Could my Lab be trained to be a good fighter/biter

I believe I CLEARLY stated that fighting does involve biting, but more so skill. The way pits fight is much like how a wolf hunts, they make quick nips circling the opponent without stopping to avoid being pinned. Once the opponent is confused is when they go for actually biting. Main point here is that a fighting dog will not nescessarily tear up a bird in the field.

And as for your lab, of course. My golden who is a very good natured dog got into a fight once with a stray lab that tried attacking me. Would I suggest fighting your dog? Of course not. But since you were being sarcastic, let's leae it at that.

2. Get a dog that has been bred (for centuries) to do the job you want.

No duh. But this person has A DOG, not a bred bird dog, but a dog. They obviously have to work with what they've got, so why not try helping them with it instead of knowcking them down?

3. Goldens hunt Upland game very well.

I realize this, I wasn't using her as an example of using a breed that is unlikely to use for upland game, i was saying it hurts to be riticuled by everyone about it. It hurts, and is very discouraging.