HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 10 Long Beard Assassins
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 PM
steve25
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by richwrench
Missed a nice one yesterday at 11:00 AM. About a 10" beard, 35 yards out. It hung up on my decoy & started getting nervous, so I let him have it, but he just turned around & walked away. I guess my vintage 1978 Ithica 37 doesn't have the range that I thought, or my estimation of yardage was wrong. My last turkey did the flop dance, this one just walked away. Instead of trading up to a 3.5" supermag, I think I'll try to call him a little closer next week. The good news is I wacked a couple of hogs that afternoon, so the freezer will be filled regardless...
Happens to the best of us. I know it has happened to me.

I have never had any luck getting a good pattern out of a 3.5" shell. My 3" 870 always has a better pattern that the guns that I tried the 3.5".

If you would like long range knock down power get you some Hevi-Shot Mag. Blend they are a combo of 5, 6 and 7 shot and are completely devistating out my 870 12ga and for that matter every gun I have tried the Hevi-shot in with a good choke has put up great patterns.

One thing I will says is the Mag. Blend will knock the @#$$ out of you when you shoot them. I have a box of #7's and they have the same powder charge but don't kick as bad.

My 870 has a Jellyhead choke tube and I done some shooting to 45yrds and to say the least I could see this combo giving me a 60yrd shoot and not really have any doubt that the bird would be floppin'.....

I will not shoot that far but it is nice to know that it patterns good out to there.

Hevi- shot is about $5.00 a shot but once you pattern them and next time you shoot will be at a bird and to me considering all the money I spend on calls, gas ect. $5.00 is cheap.