HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Broadhead flight
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 02:49 PM
JNTURK
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
This comes from years of experience and using software when I need to. Cutting the 2 inches will likely still not give you the perfect spine but it will be much closer than were you are now. If you can fork out the cash the 450's is where you really need to go.

An good example is my own set up. I have an Invasion set at 71 pounds and 29.5" draw length. My arrows (Easton ACC 3-71's) were initially cut to 29 inches. Broadhead flight was only decent and no matter how much fine tuning I did the broadhead tipped arrows just weren't getting it. I had cut them that length with out running though OT2 knowing I could go shorter if I needed to. After dicking around with tuning for a couple of days I ran my numbers through OT2 and the perfect spine for my set up was actually 27.5" with a 100 grain tip. Once I cut the arrows everything came together and broadhead flight was perfect as far as I cared to shoot (70 yards) at a target.

So in your program what length of an arrow (say the Maxium Hunter dual spine weight forward 450's) should I be shooting?

Does your software show an optimum arrow cut to 'x' length that would be the best spinned for my setup?

Two questions (again I apprecite all your insight, I am just trying to learn from this):

1- Does 1" of draw really cause this much change in spine? My cousin shoots 29" and has his arrows cut to 29" (same as mine) and he has zero issues?

2- How come their charts and another software program (I had asked on this forum, I will try and dig up the advice I received a while back) show that I should be fine?

---I know I am asking you the same questions as screamin, I really am just looking for more opinions from those with more knowledge on the subject than I.