HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - FPJ becomes NFPJ
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 PM
ronlaughlin
Nontypical Buck

Default Breech Plug Work Continued

Yesterday morning, after drilling the primer pocket some deeper, some more shooting was accomplished. The burned primers looked awful. Returning home, the rifle was cleaned, and the primer pocket drilled some deeper. A little shooting was done in the afternoon. The primers looked awful.

This morning more shooting was done, after the primer pocket was drilled deeper. The mallet came with.

The primers never required the mallet to remove them, but they just didn't look very good. After i tired of shooting paper, we blasted a cottage cheese jug filled with water at 220 yard.

Cottage cheese video

Returning home, i cleaned the rifle and breech plug again. The primer pocket was drilled ever so slightly deeper, and the flame channel was enlarged to 5/32". Then gathering powder, bullets, primers, rifle, water, and empty jugs we headed out again. The mallet came with, in case it was needed. Being completely disinterested in shooting paper, a potato salad jug was set out at 220 yard, and it was disintegrated. The primers looked good. The primers fell right out of the nfpj adapter. The mallet no longer seems to be needed. The head space of this combination seems to be too large for STS primer, plus the STS primer seem to be sticky for some reason, and are hard to remove. In the beginning i was making this plug for to use STS primer, but it didn't work out. The W209 primer seem to be working quite nicely right now. Of course more testing is required.

Another salad jug filled with water was set out at 220 yard. However this time the camera was placed right along side the rifle and the lens was zoomed out to 20 power. The load was 120g BH, 200g SST, smooth Harvester sabot, W209 primer.

Here is a never before seen perspective of blasting a mustard potato salad jug