HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - FPJ becomes NFPJ
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 PM
ronlaughlin
Nontypical Buck

Default FPJ becomes NFPJ

My first Knight rifle was the 45 caliber disc elite. GM54-120 alerted us all to the seller, and i jumped at it for $200. New in the box; what a wonderful purchase that rifle was. The nfpj plug later purchased from Knight worked perfect. After shooting the rifle for a while, i started yearning for a 50 caliber with sights. Chet was kind enough to sell me a brand spankin' new 50 caliber disc extreme, without the unneeded box. However, this rifle didn't work so very good with a new nfpj plug from Knight. The adapter didn't fit the bolt, nor did primers fit the plug. A little work polishing the primer pocket fixed the plug, and more work removing material from the face of the bolt, allowed the adapter to marry up dandy. However, primer fit was too loose, and there was considerable blow by.

The bolt from the elite was tried in the extreme, and then the extreme burned perfectly clean. However, the elite now had issues. I fiddled around with the elite, and it did OK for a time, but here lately it became irritating. Hopefully i have now found the permanent cure. Today the wind howled around here, and i figured i would get something constructive done for a change. However, instead of working a chore, my attention drifted back to muzzle loaders. My day was spent converting a fpj plug into an nfpj plug in hopes to make the elite shoot more better.

The fpj needed to be shortened, and the hex moved more into the plug.

Then the shortened fpj plug was drilled and tapped to receive a 3/8" bolt at the primer end.

The head of the 3/8" bolt was cut off, and the end tapered to fit the bottom of the hole made by the drill.

Red loctite was applied, and a pipe wrench used to tighten the bolt into the plug. A 1/8" hole was drilled through the bolt, and the threads mostly removed. The bolt was shortened, and tested, and shortened, and tested, until the rifle bolt would close as it should, without rubbing on the plug.

A letter C drill near flattened was used to make a primer pocket. Extreme care was taken not drill too deep. The final depth of the pocket was arrived at by 'sneaking' up on it. When the rifle bolt is closed on STS primers they end up being 'crushed' about 0.006". Hopefully this will result in a perfect burn with zero blow by..

Then a pocket was made for a vent, and the flame channel was drilled larger with a # 21 drill for about 3/8". Threads were formed with a tap, and with the vent installed, the plug was finished.

I wanted to try this plug in the worst way this afternoon, but the wind was howling, and the forecast is calling for far less wind in the morning. Whilst working the plug, i noticed the fpj plug is nearly exactly the same length from the end of the plug to the end of the hex as the Mountaineer plug is. So a start was made toward making a Mountaineer plug using the fpj plug. Reason being, it kinda seemed easier to make a plug for the Mountainer this way, than to remove the brazed vent from the Knight Mountaineer plug, plus this way i can decide what primer i will use.