HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How much to call?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 AM
OntElk
Typical Buck

same answer in all 3 although but you are right when you say there is no "right" answer. I would assume there is a gobbler in all 3 scenarios. If I didn't think so I would find a new spot so that's my first and most improtant thought process in the 3 scenarios. It does depend but in general my thoughts would be:

1. let the woods dictate what I do. if birds are active and talking lots then I talk lots. For example in #3 if you know a hen is there because she is yelping away then I would yelp away as well. If the woods are quiet then subtle and quiet makes more sense to me.

2. react to the gobbler. If I call soft and get nothing then maybe I fire it up and call like a fool. If neither works then I would say the gobbler who may be around is being quiet so I go quiet and sublte. Like your buddy does maybe only the odd cluck or purr occasionally.

3. Take a nap. Sometimes the best tactic I have is to lie back and enjoy the sounds of the woods. My alarm clock is that distant (or close) gobble. Good to have a friend to wake you up too lol.

If I believe I am in a good spot then even no calling may work. Bottom line is turkeys move around so my good spot will hopefully have some bird activity eventually. When that activity happens I react to the situation. I move when I lose faith that the spot is "good" and/or I am just in the mood to go find a bird that will "play".