HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new mountaineer
Thread: new mountaineer
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 04:06 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by builder459
All the info is on there site and again length on a given bullet is dictated by design and yes if it's accurate at 100 yds, it will be at 200 yds.
Ray, I do not believe that is necessarily the true all the time as velocity and RPM slow accuracy can severely be changed.

Bullets shot at a reduced velocity can be accurate at 100 and fall apart at 200.

Savage no longer makes a .45 cal.
Correct, I should have said Savage with aftermarket barrels like the Pacnor.

Knight carries Lehigh and has a special 175 gr .40 cal Barnes bullet and can't work with a bullet maker to produce a heavier lead jacketed bullet to assist in boosting there .45 cal muzzle loader sales?
Yes, I believe they could but it might be cost prohibitive to both.

there is a lot of info already out there on what will work as far as heavier/longer 40 cal jacketed bullets are concerned...it's not that complicated
Correct - speed up the twist and the longer heavier bullets will work just fine. If you want the weight like a PR then you have to take the length or go to full bore and reduce the length.

Maybe in your world it is not all that complicated- but in the real world $'s drive the market or as we all know profit and loss does.

And it is not always as easy as one might think. I think many have already proved the faster twist will do more with longer heavier bullets. Slower twist will allow more shooters to shoot a wider range of bullets at slower/lower velocities.