HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scouting a new hunting area
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 AM
OntElk
Typical Buck

some good advice for sure. I actually find some of my most exciting hunts come from showing up at a new place with my calls and gun and no idea where a turkey might be. You are scouting and hunting at the same time basically.

If you're hunting in an area of the state that you know has turkeys then I look at habitat. Is there water, good roost loactions, ridges, valleys, feilds or openings. Is the hardwoods open at a turkeys eye level or extremely thick and choked down. If I see what looks like good turkey country then I look for actual sign. tracks and scratchings or feathers. If I assess an area as good possible turkey country then all I have to see is one track, one feather, one dust bowl, or some bush scratched up to know thew hunt is on.

I like to know the lay of the land as much as where I have seen a bird strutting or heard him gobbling if pre-season scouting. I want to know how that ridgeline runs, or if there is a tractor road running through the timber to the next feild. I want to know where the stand of pines is or the oak flat. Fences, creeks and other obstacles that will give me an idea of how to move or set up on a bird I have located once the hunt is on.