HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Food plot questions
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 AM
Smallplot
Spike

Originally Posted by thelukai1100
Im new to the whole food plot thing, and i have a few questions.

1: I know there's deer around my area, Will they go out of there way to come to my food plot.

2: Whens the best time to plant?
Id like the deer to know where i food plot is and eat from it but i don't want it to be all eaten out by deer season.

3: whats the best seed/plant?
where I plan to plant is in the woods of Maine I don't know the ph levels or whatever.
I want something that will grow pretty much anywhere, or more forgiving on the ph levels and stuff like that.
1) They may but it may take a while for them to find your food plots. Deer are creatures of habit and survival. If your plot is secluded and near to a known bedding area it will see more usage than a plot just randomly placed out in the open.

2) The best time to plant as Hossdaniels pointed out depends on what you plant and the expected usage for the plot. Example oats can be planted in spring or fall, depending on when you want deer to use them.

3) you are searching for the same thing the rest of us are, the holy grail of food plots. Unfortunately no one has found it. You have to first consider what purpose you want the plot for, spring food, summer food, early fall, or late season/winter. from there you can select seed(s) which meet your needs. You should already have a soil sample and correct any lacking fert/Lime requirements.