HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck Trails: Building High Powered Mature Buck Travel Corridors
Old 02-23-2012, 04:12 PM
falcon
Boone & Crockett

One of our places is 160 acres. About half of that place was mature oak trees, the rest is big bluestem grass, sumac and plum thickets. In late 2005 a fire driven by 70 mph winds hit the place. About half of the oak trees were killed by the fire. Four years after the fire you could not get through the greenbriers, oak brush, sumac, blackberry briars and downed trees.

We have game plots and feeders but adults are not allowed to shoot deer there; there is no such restriction on grand kids.

One day i fired up the neighbors old dozer and pushed my way to the back of the place. Pushed out dead trees and stumps to make a way for the tractor and brush hog. Now i run the brush hog down the trail about twice a year. The trail is six feet wide. It parallels the south and southwest property lines for about 1/4 mile on each side; about 100 yards from the fences. We never go into the southeast corner of the place. Its a deer and hog sanctuary. There are two gullies that have water year around.

The deer like that trail and they use it a lot. It gets them from their sanctuary to the fields, game plots and feeders. The hogs like it too.

Last edited by falcon; 02-23-2012 at 04:18 PM.