HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sunday hunting bill sb 464
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 07:21 PM
NEW61375
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VTHUNTER79
The 3 largest groups opposed to Sunday Hunting in 2010-11 were the HSUS,the VAHDA, and the Farm Bureau. Be careful who you lay with as the HSUS isn't the best company for a hunting organization to be keeping.

I saw this in your post and did not know if you knew about how bad the VAHDA bashes and hates the HSUS. They just got done fighting a bill that the HSUS was pushing for to outlaw fox pens in VA.
I am aware of that and the VAHDA has fought for many other hound related topics. In all honesty were it not for their stance on Sunday Hunting I would have no problem supporting them. The bill your talking about got tabled to a study group so that isn't the last we'll hear of it, just the last we'll hear of it this year.

Last year when Sunday Hunting got shut down in the Senate committee two of the most vocal organizations were the HSUS and VAHDA, this year the VAHDA was hands down the most vocal group against Sunday Hunting. They were willing to be on the same side as the HSUS on SH a year prior(a group all hunters usually oppose) because they speculate it will benefits hound hunters in the future to prevent SH from getting passed. Yes they have the interest of VA hound hunters first and foremost, just not all VA hunters.

I guess the difference between myself and probably the average VAHDA member is that when I called and e-mailed in support of the VA SH bill I also called and e-mailed my opposition to SB202 and HB695, the fox pen bills. Why? Well it's certainly not because I support the decisions of the VAHDA, it's simply because I support VA hunters.

I am opposed to attacks or infringement on any and all of our hunting. So as much as I might disagree with the leadership of the VAHDA on Sunday Hunting, as a hunter and outdoorsman in VA I don't want the HSUS trying to shut down fox penning, field trials, dog hunting, etc. So I have to swallow my frustration with the VAHDA and fight against the fox penning bills just as hard as I will fight in support of Sunday Hunting. Because putting aside petty differences and selfish wants and supporting hunting in VA is in all of our best interest in the long run.

And that's the difference in a nutshell, when it comes to Sunday Hunting the VAHDA puts itself before VA hunters as a whole. That causes in-fighting and division between generally like minded individuals. What's the old saying? "Divide and conquer"....it's a shame we are dividing ourselves.

Last edited by NEW61375; 02-21-2012 at 07:28 PM.