HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rifle Vs. Shotgun for Multi-Purpose Hunting
Old 02-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Default Moot point...

Obviously the decision has been made, but I would have leaned the other way on this one.

Personally, I would much rather have a rifle than a shotgun, and by the way it sounds, that would have suited your needs better as well.

Originally Posted by WeedyW
...My brother and I want to mainly do hog hunting... I would still like the option of being able to deer hunt and duck hunt, but I am not sure whether or not duck hunting is something I will actually do...
So to me, it sounds like you were in need of a deer and hog rifle, but would potentially be interested in a duck gun someday.

Maybe I'm just too much of a rifleman, but I could "live without" a shotgun. I prefer turkey hunting with a bow anyway, and I don't do THAT much upland hunting (I WOULD miss having a shotty back up while calling coyotes though). I go on half a dozen upland hunts a year, and shoot clays recreationally, but the vast majority of my hunting is done with one projectile, whether it's hogs, coyotes, p-dogs, antelope, or deer. Flipping the script, I'd rather have a rifle and either borrow a shotty or NOT go upland hunting than have a range limited weapon for all of my RIFLE hunts that I'm serious about just so I'd have the option of going duck hunting "someday if I wanted to".

So in your shoes, I'd have bought a .30-06 over a 12ga, but obviously your mileage varies... And frankly, in your shoes, buying a $100 shotgun, heck, go find a $300 rifle and you won't be out a dime if you decide to sell them later (dang good deal on that mossy).