HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Running Deer
Thread: Running Deer
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 06:41 PM
smokepole70
Spike

I hate to stir up a pot but even as a newer member to this site I have to step in and say there is absolutely nothing unsporting 9 out of 10 times about a deer ran by dogs. Most of the time the deer whips the dogs, unless you got them long legged walkers throwing out every block with new fresh pack of them. That is where I draw the line, I truely think it is more sporting of a doghunter to use slower hounds. I call these cold nose dogs that trail deer instead of having to be on top of a deer to jump them. Some of my favorite deer dogs were redbones, black and tan's, blueticks, and my beagles. The deer could flat out run them and sit and laugh for awhile and run circles around these dogs. I had to really think hard where to be when that deer came out but guess what? The deer would be just walking sometimes or a slow trot/hop and give me an ethical shot, I had plenty of time to take a good shot. I know there are a bunch of folks that run deer with dogs that are outlaws and will cut ever corner so that the dogs do the work of harvest but there are some like me(retired dog hunter) that had a soft spot for fair hunt ethics. As mentioned earlier I am strickly a still hunter now but I will never forget the times I spent many a cold morning loading up those stinking short legged dogs of my father's and spending time with numerious groups of family and good men. Dogs are my passion and still have some of the decendents of those same hounds I ran in my youth around me closeby. It was heritage and has slowly decended not to be forgotten by me. (pre- 16 years of my life, age 12 to 28,being one). Smokepole