HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Good long-range deer calibers.
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Jarrey12
Spike

Originally Posted by Camosteel
Just a quick little story. When I was younger all I wanted was the big bad ultra maximum super duty magnums. I was going to shoot a deer anywhere from 40 yards to 400 yards. Well, the more hunting I did the faster I found out that very, very rarely did I ever shoot a deer over 150 yards. I've never shot one over 200 yards. I have a .338 win mag, a .300 win mag and a 7mm rem mag. Guess what? They never leave the safe anymore. I have a 7mm-08 Rem. Mountain Rifle and If I had to do it all over again I would have saved alot of money on buying guns. It's perfect for deer and plenty adequate for bear and even elk with the proper bullet. Buy what you like, heck I did but remember, the older you get the less you worry about flash and the more you care about simple results. Side note: A detached retina will make you a fan of low recoiling rifles very quickly. My eye was not damaged due to shooting a big gun but the Dr said if I didn't want to go blind I better lay off the big guns. Enjoy whatever rifle you decide on and as others have said, practice, practice, practice.
couldnt put it better although im 18 not that old but id rather cut out a testicle than go blind in one eye but just one im in the same predicament as tykempster i wanted a gun to kill deer up to moose so i think im going with a browning xbolt 270wsm just cause its a little less kick and alot less powder than the other magnums and since im reloading saving powder is saving money.

Last edited by Jarrey12; 02-01-2012 at 04:50 PM.