HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for yotes
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stapher1
I'd have to do the whole gun, (the barrel is polished) so they won't see the flash off of it, but i think i'm looking for any excuse just to buy another gun.
All of our coyote rigs are generally "fully clothed", although honestly, if a dog spots my rifle, then I have bigger problems than a shiny barrel! Mostly I just think it looks cool, and for $5 worth of cloth tape, why not? It also DOES help protect the stock, which is nice (I prefer vinyl over cloth tape, since cloth tends to leave residue behind if you ever take it off. My favorite option, to be honest, is gun-sock type camo covers. I put them on, cut a few holes (scope, trigger, ejection port, mag well), wrap a few specific areas with camo-tape to hold better form, and go on with biz.

I can definitely relate to looking for any and every excuse to buy a new rifle. The SPS might not be my favorite rig out there, but it'll definitely do!

If you're really worried about dogs spotting glare on a rifle, then I'd be equally worried about them picking out a black rifle too. Wrap it either way. Honestly, I've dropped a lot of dogs with a full black AR-15 or a mirror polished bolt gun, never felt like dogs ever had any better chance of spotting me than they did with covers. If a dog's going to spot your gun, they're going to spot YOU.