HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Eastern MT Mulies?
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 PM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by beech18
AK Jeff pretty much nailed it. I live in region 7 of Montana. Some areas are better than others just as mentioned. Do your research if you want a wall hanger. Theres some out there. For example the general area where I like to hunt the mulies are doing good, however the antelope are few and far between. Its in pockets. Another area where I like to hunt, good luck finding a decent deer. 2 years ago that area was awesome but after last winter took a major toll in that pocket... Looking back this years hunting season, I would say this is one of the best years my family has had deer hunting here. Good moisture this last spring and summer yielded some of the best bucks we've killed over the years.

Salukipv1, Honestly Im surprised your considering hunting Montana. I remember last year you had a fit about Montana raising there non resident lic fee's on another thread on this same forum and now your wanting to hunt Montana this upcoming year?
ha, I mostly just hate the multipliers, especially MT, I think I calculated a non-res pays like 43x more than a resident?

I hunted elk in MT twice before, I'm planning to be there this fall for elk with the bow, and thought about drawing the big game combo instead of just the elk combo and coming back to try to get a decent mulie, I still don't have a mulie buck.

I did boycott it last fall, didn't want to hunt elk in MT last year anyway nor had any time to.

Honestly though if I hadn't hunted there before and didn't have a spot picked out now, to try to randomly DIY an elk in Mt for the 1st time for $950 or whatever, I would probably choose against it. But I feel like if I go again between the 2 of us, 1 of us should at least get a shot at a decent bull elk, if not both of us.

This winter sounds awfully mild so far... might be a decent fall for most of the west?