HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck Shot Question
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Striper Phil
Typical Buck

Way back when we were stuck with Buckshot only in Jersey we did just fine. The ability to get a few shot into the kill zone is what matters. Went back to jersey in December and dropped a nice 4 point at 15 yards, dropped in his tracks. Good for me since 10 yards ahead was a brook I didn't have to traverse. Back to buck shot. At 50 yards it will penetrate from one side to the other often stopping at the far side skin. That means all the energy is dissipated in the animal.
Important is to be broadside for good penetration you get a little more angle when shooting from the rear due to hair growth direction.
I am not saying take long shots but the 000 pellets have enough punch at 100yards to easily penetrate a whitetail. The problem is you don't know where the pellets will land a long distances.
Lets not forget a 000 pellet can kill a person out to around 500 yards. Good reason for not taking reckless shots.
In swampy heavy brush 000 rules. In Jersey type woodlands with a lot of hunting pressure I hunt the swampiest thickest area, it's where the big Uns go.
Another two cents!!!