HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck Shot Question
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7
I would only use in super thick stuff at a range no greater than 40 yds..I think it should be good. Once I passed up a monster buck at about 35 yds in VA. I wasn't sure if my buck shot would kill it..so after the hunt I set up a piece of 3/4 inch plywood at 50 yds..the buck shot went clean threw it...and that was only 2 2/4 inch 12 guage.
To quote Bruce Lee: "Boards... don't hit back".

Shooting through plywood isn't really analogous to penetrating flesh. The wood ultimately is rigid, and has no tendancy for stretch. Flesh, on the other hand, is supple and flexible. A 25lb fiberglass kids bow will shoot through plywood (stuck an arrow through the exterior wall of my bedroom as a kid), but that doesn't mean that it would pass through a deer. Projectile resistance in flesh is HUGE. Shooting through 3/4" plywood would bascially tell me it would PROBABLY penetrate 1 1/2" to 2" into flesh. All bets are off for hitting hair, skin, and or ribs.

Oddly enough, hair and feathers are actually very difficult to penetrate. They literally SCRUB energy off of bullets. It's like a crumple zone on a car, hair just seems to slow bullets down like crazy (high speed cameras are awesome).