HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cow problems
Thread: Cow problems
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 09:24 PM
country1
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by trickworm863

http://www.tractorsupply.com/zareba-...asedPricingCmd

Thats the charger i have. I have to have something solar powered because there is no power to the property. I feel like if it was a constant shock instead of a variable shock, it would work better.
I clicked on the link for your electric fence charger, and it said it was for pets and small animals. Not an electric fence charger for cattle or horses.

When we had cattle on a pasture with no electricity, we had an electric fence charger that ran off a large automotive 12V battery. This was a single strand electric with a five strand barbed wire. We would swap out the battery with a fully charged battery about every 5 days. Sorry I can't tell you the brand or model. If you go this route, put the battery on a wood block so it is not discharged by the ground. We also had the fence charger itself protected from the weather.

A concern I would have is having the feeder tipped over by the livestock and having the feed container spill its contents. One thing you don't want is sick or dead livestock because they got the wrong feed, too much feed or feed that was not compatible with the other foods they eat. I suggest starting with a very sturdy four or five row barbed wire fence and add one or two rows of electric fence with a reliable electric fence charger that will provide a good jolt.