HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Butcher your own or pay?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 02:09 PM
pluckit
Nontypical Buck

I took a small doe to a butcher once and told him I wanted the back straps in steaks, the hind quarters in roasts, and the rest ground up for burger. The hind quarters came back to me whole, the back straps were in steaks and the rest was ground with some nasty fat added. I forget what I paid, I think $60. It wasn't worth it and I never did it again. Before and after that I did and have done it myself. I only had him do it that time because it was warm weather and I wanted to hunt some more. Do it yourself and have it done the way you like it. If you don't know how to do it there are books that explain the whole process quite well. I love to hunt but the meat helps to lower the grocery bills and I'm to cheap to pay someone to do something I can do myself. The guy I hunt with, who is the grandson of the owner of the land I hunt on, is a Meat Cutter/Manager for a large grocery chain in this area. He can de-bone a deer in no time and will do mine for $30. But like I said, I'm too cheap to pay to have it done so I do it myself.