HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Butcher your own or pay?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 01:45 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

I have butchered all kinds of animals in my life time. So I butcher my own. I've been doing it so long I never thought of going to a actual meat cutter. And I make my own sausage (well venison salami as I love the stuff) and jerky too. That High Country original jerky seasoning is some fantastic stuff. You get that in a grocery store. Make the best jerky you ever ate.

If you want to have fun, get young people involved. Teach them to butcher. We used to do the whole groups' deer harvest. The men would cut the meat up. The kids removed silver skin. The woman washed it and wrapped the meat. We would of course tell hunting stories as we worked. And tell some whopper lies as well for the sake of the kids. And make a party out of that.

Sausage is easy to do. There is a company in New York. Its called "The Sausage Maker Inc" and they sell everything you need to make perfect sausage. You can purchase pre mixed kits.. you add the venison and pork. And then a sausage stuffer or old hand grinder works. Casinngs you stuff.

You can purchase some excellent smokers for around $139.99 and they do a great job. I have a Brinkman Smoker (a Christmas present years ago) and it work good. But I had to be different of course so I built a smoker out of an old shell that held a oil furnace for a trailer. I build a building around it. I built a fire pot that rests on the ground and you load your wood in there get a fire going and then dampen that. Old racks from a throw away stove at the dump fit perfect into the thing. And the top is open where the old chimney went out the top. I put a damper on that and can control how much smoke stays in the smoker that way. Come spring I am taking the guts and burners out of an old gas grill and put a propane flame in there so I can better regulate the heat.

When you make your own sausage, you will never go back to a butcher. That place sells a book (another present) and in it are hundreds of excellent sausages in detailed steps, you can make. Lots of hard work, but fun too.