HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New coyote hunter (advice)
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

One other difference that I notice, at least for myself, between deer hunting sets and coyote sets is that I usually have really good luck on coyotes from out in the open. In general, when I'm hunting deer in open ground, I'll set up along the edge of a creek, fence line, hedge row, etc. Anything I can use as ample cover. For coyotes, on the other hand, I'll set up a small "hide-behind" blind near a clump of tallgrass or a bit of brush, etc out in the middle of a pasture so I can have a 360degree view. Honestly, I'm sure this technique would work well for deer as well, but I've never tried it that way. I suppose the difference, in my mind at least, would be that I don't expect a deer to try circling around behind me, and I DO expect a coyote to do so. In order to see them before they wind me, I sacrifice a little cover and keep them in open ground.

ADDED: For a new caller that isn't trying to get in neck deep on day one, you really only need 2-3 calls. Closed reed calls are the easiest to play for beginners, and are a staple of any caller's arsenal. Open reed calls are more versatile, but they are more challenging to master. I've amassed over 60 mouth calls over the last 20yrs, and if I were to narrow it down to TWO budget friendly calls, it'd have to be a Primos Double Cottontail Distress Call and a mouse squeaker ball (any brand will do). The Primos Double Cottontail has an impressive range, it'll play VERY loud, but can still pull back for close in, quiet work. It also runs about $12-15. The mouse squeaker is another standby of mine. They don't have much volume, but they are often a valuable "finishing touch" to bring a dog just a few yards closer.

Beyond that, another couple good call I would recommend (after you get the Primos Double Cottontail) would be, in this order: Buck Gardner Ultimate Coaxer-higher pitched closed reed rodent distress call, great for bobcats, and very enticing for coyotes. Runs about $10. Verminator Twisted Syco and/or Syco Tweety-open reed, split-reed call. These will play anywhere from jackrabbit pitches to high rodent and bird pitches. They produce a very shrill, raspy, "sound of death" that is very unique, and will make your skin crawl. Once you get a couple closed reed calls to play with, these are pretty easy open reed calls to learn on. These run about $14 each. Primos Double Jackrabbit Distressed-a lower pitched, super raspy jackrabbit call. Easy to play, and a raspy jack is a staple for all callers. It gives you a little more volume and range (lower pitch seems to carry better) for hunting over open ground. Played properly, you can make it sound like you're breaking a rabbit in half over a board. Runs about $14.

So for $50, you can get into a very versatile set of calls that will put fur on the ground.

Having a couple different versions of the same sound, or having multiple calls will be a good idea for you, since you'll be focused on a single area. Once you shoot at a dog over a certain call, or shoot one dog out of a pair (maybe one you didn't even see hiding in the brush while you shot another one), they'll learn your call sounds, and will become resistant. I've had experiences where I've gone back to the same set with a different call on the next day and dropped a dog. I've also had experiences where I've gone back to the same set with the SAME call a week later and got skunked, then switched calls on the next day, and brought in a dog.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 12-28-2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Added recommended calls...