HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Enough with the deer hunting shows.
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 05:56 AM
cal516
Fork Horn

I agree that all the shows are based around entertainment but I also agree that they lay a lot of inflated ideas about what a trophy is and to who. Right now I have two favorite ones out there that I think seem as realistic as can be: Deer and Deer Hunting and Midwest Whitetails. In fact I just watched an episode of D&DH and they talk specifically about what a "booner" is. They made several references to the "100 inch booner" which in my opinion gave the show some credit. They said that if you harvest a 100 inch, 2 year old buck off heavily pressured/hunted public land consider it a a trophy. They considered it one of the greatest challenges a hunter can be put up against because that deer is on full alert everyday and all day if it wants to survive. They talk a lot about food plots and running your own property but in my opinion they do a lot of educating and instructional shows. It is not one of those shows where you watch hunt after hunt. Just my opinion, but I think its a great show and I end up taking notes after every episode.