HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How old for first solo hunt?
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 07:17 PM
WV Hunter
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by paramed214
For those of you with kids I wanted to pose this question. My oldest son just made 13. He has been hunting with me since he was 5 or 6. Of course more and more each year as he could tolerate. We have really focused over these last few years on getting ready to hunt alone. We have spent the time at the range, talked safety every time we hunt, reviewed the do's and dont's. I can't think of a thing we have not covered several times, in fact he is more prepared to hunt alone than I ever was. The reason I ask a this is my wife does not think he is ready. I do, as a matter o fact I feel safer with him than some other adult I have hunted with.
I'm right here with you. Sounds like we did the exact same thing and are about on the same timeline from starting to current...and I just cut my son loose this year for his first few hunts alone. (He just turned 14 last month).
My son got his first solo deer this year (a doe), he was pretty excited...and proud of himself as well.

We still hunted together some this season, but I have cut the cord and given him his freedom as well. Sounds like you've done everything right...let some leash out and see how he does. I'm sure he'll do fine