HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - knew things were bad but...
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 10:58 AM
WV Hunter
Nontypical Buck

In VA and WV where I am, its very liberal limits on bucks and does and has been for quite a while. My property in VA....the deer have all but disappeared this year. WAY different than the last 12yrs I've owned it. I saw 4 does this morning cross near my house and those were the first 4 deer I've seen of any type here in the last month. That includes hunting and not hunting...and I live on the land. Very strange. I don't know if its a change that is temporary (like better food elsewhere - doubtful) or more likely because the herd is down. I guess time will tell. No fawns with these does either, thats kinda strange too.

Our place in WV still has too many deer, and we shoot alot each season.....and mostly does. WV DNR screwed up royally a while ago with management in our area, and its gonna take a long time to get it back to good levels.

I'm all for good management...but wiping out the herds isn't good either. I think the powers that be can't seem to find a good medium, they take it too far in one direction (either way) and react too late which creates problems in both directions.

Coyote's have taken a toll as well....something that has really changed in our area over the past 10yrs.