HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Jug at 322 yard
Thread: Jug at 322 yard
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Muley Hunter
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
First off where i live muzzleloader season is open sights only so that restricts me to a 100 yards. I use my scoped muzzleloader during rifle season.. While some guys are shooting 3 or 4 or 7 hundred yards with their 270 or 300 win mag I shoot out to 250 with a muzzleloader and by next year 300. that is a challenge that i enjoy.

You seem to be confusing Muzzleloader season with primitive weapon season. We live at a time when Muzzleloaders are no longer a primitive weapon. Some states (like PA)still have a primitive season. some have muzzleloader season that they set certain restrictions on. Stick with your 270 and dont worry about trying to categorize muzzleloaders as primitive weapons. those days are over, although i still enjoy my caplock for muzzy season.
I would rather hunt with my Knight and scope during rifle season then a centerfire. If I have a 200 yard shot and someone shoots from 400 and scares it off. well that's the way it works unless you have a place to hunt where you are the only one there.
Long CF shots annoy me more than inlines. Spot and shoot. More sniping than hunting.

I'm not confusing primitive with what we have. Colorado thinks they have a primitive season. Pennsylvania used to have one, but I hear you can use sabots now. Yeah, that's primitive.

My thinking isn't original. Go to a Rendezvous or any BP shoot, and you'll find a bunch who think the same.

Interested in how I feel about food plots and tree stands?