HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Jug at 322 yard
Thread: Jug at 322 yard
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Colorado Cajun
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Screwbolts
Great Shot Ron, I also like the fact that you can hear the projectile hitting the jug making the first crack sound, as it does the jug in.

I to am with you Ron, at 320 yards that projectile when fired at your loading, still has the equivalent of energy at the muzzle of a 4" to 6" barreled 44 mag pistol shooting 300 grain bullets. Yes I know this is a .452 projectile not a .430. The buffalo were brought to the edge of extinction at this range and beyond with lesser loads than you are shooting.

Ken

Central NY
Engery is one thing but volicity is another. You have to consider at what volicity is the cut off point where the bullet will not open up and perform the way it was intended too? When the bullet don't upset and open up, that can lead to a long tracking job or a lost animal. Just something to consider because if you shoot a deer with a 44, while the energy may be the same, the volicity of the bullet will be a lot higher at the distance you would shoot with a pistol and more then likely the bullet will open up. Hydrostatic shock is needed for a quick kill.

Just because you can lob a bullet that far doesn't mean you should shoot an animal with it. I'm not saying it couldn't kill an animal, but you are taking a greater risk of just wounding it with the lower volicity and energy.

That is nice shooting Ron. I hope I can bust water jugs at that distance one day with my Omega.