HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A picture of my "trophy"...don't laugh :)
Old 12-19-2011, 04:52 AM
prairienights
Spike

Thank you so much everyone And yes, she does indeed taste great! I've already had a slow cooked roast with apples for extra flavor and some grilled bacon wrapped backstraps (just like you said, nchawkeye!). I'm not much of a meat eater anyways, and I really dislike beef. But this meat is delicious.

I am definitely hooked, no question. I have always wanted to hunt and have always loved game meat, but nobody in my family hunts. And I was never taken seriously when I said I wanted to learn, hehe. I finally took matters into my own hands and enrolled in a hunter's safety course this summer. I learned as much as I could in a short time, went on a few hunting trips just to observe the more experienced hunters, and had a wonderful "guide" (my best friend's husband) to help me with everything. And I wanted to learn about the whole process. From sighting in a rifle to following game sign to gutting and skinning to processing. I'm a pretty good cook, so I gave him a few recipe pointers in return, haha.

And I am an Auburn gal (graduated last December; I majored in agriculture), but before anything, I'm a Wyoming girl. Born and raised in the Big Horn area of Northern Wyo. My husband is an Army officer and is currently deployed, so I'm hanging out at home for the year. The hubs and I bought some beautiful land in this area, and that's where I took my deer. Here's a photo of our plot