HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - my bear whitetail 2, need some advice.
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 07:47 PM
jmax857
Spike

Default my bear whitetail 2, need some advice.

So I have a old bear whitetail 2 I bought when I was 16, I planned on hunting whitetail here in northern ontario. I was never confident enough with it to take it hunting, so Its sat in the closet. And I hunted the late season with the muzzleeloader. I'm 23 now and since then I have harvested a fair share of deer since then, and since this year I was layed off, I figured I would pull out the bow and hopefully get some extra time in the stand. I was using aluminum 2216 arrows, with 125 grain broadheads. Its outfitted with a peep and a browning fiber optic sight. I practiced for a few days, did a couple different things, and got shooting good groups at 20 yards. I didn't feel comfortable shooting much farther, so I was limited to about 20 yards.
I had a few nice bucks coming to my stand, but after sitting on the stand for all 2 weeks of muzzleloader, and a week of bow, the bucks were sttill nocturnal. There was a small fawn I had been watching coming in time after time with no doe accompaning it when I was on the stand, or on the ca. I assumed it wouldn't make it through the winter by itself, so on the last evening of bow I decided to fill my doe tag.

This fawn was a dead on 20 yards away, slightly quartered away from me. It was just smelling the feed when I set the pin on, I let out a bleat, and letoff right behind the front shoulder. As soon as my bowstring snapped the deer jumped to the left, my arrow was dead on target, but between the time of my bow snap and the arrow hit, it was almost facing away and I hit it in the front of the back leg, and the arrow carried through the ribs on the other side
The arrow passed through the whole deer and stuck into the ground on the other side. I spent 3 hours tracking this deer, and finally found it with a dog, because there was not much of a blood trail. The deer ran over 300 yards from where I shot it. As a hunter I am not happy with my inhumane killing of this deer, and even though I was successful in killing my first deer with a bow, I am not satisfied with how it happened.

The problem i have is the speed of the bow, and the loudness of the snap. I like the accuracy of the bow, and I know that it will easily kill deer, and that's what its for.
I know someones going to say "sell it and buy a new one" but I can't, its use this or don't bow hunt.
So how much speed will I get switching from aluminum and 125 grain, to carbon and 100 grain. Also my poundage adjust is 1.5 turns out, I will be turning them in all the way. It is a 60 lb bow.
Secondly, how can I make it quieter, it has string quietners. But what can I put on the limbs and cables to quiet this puppy up.
Thirdly, the draw length is just a hair too long for me, how (if) can I adjust this? I was thinking of puttimg a new string on, so maybe I could put on a slightly shorter string?

Here's a couple pics.

Any input is appreciated, I know a lot of you guys started with these compounds, and have lots of expierience witth them, and I know a lot of game has been harvested with these puppies.

One more thing, I'm burning that flippin flipper rest!!!!