HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - North American Whitetail
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 08:55 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Many of these professional hunting shows turn me off. I mean, come on. What always amazes me about these TV shows and "professional hunter/writers" is all the monster bucks they shoot. Now I know that most successful hunts are based on three things most of all, location, location, and location. Face it, your chances of a trophy B&C are slim to none in the middle of the local Piggly Wiggly parking lot. But when you read some of the bylines of these writers.. this week they are hunting white tail in Iowa, next week elk in Colorado, and then hogs in Texas.. I mean, when are they doing all this pre scouting and getting set up? I think a lot of them are flown to a ranch with a lot of animals, where all the pre work has been done. They are told, sit in this blind, and this deer has been seen coming in. Then they shoot the deer and brag about what a great hunt it was. And how hard it was waiting the monster out. Horse Hockey!! I think they sat in a heated blind in the winter with their camera crew, and shot an animal. Now granted I am sure there are some that do the actual stalking and all the other work involved. But what percentage?

I think if my friend that just harvested a monster buck. He spent four years chasing that deer, patterning that deer, learning every move of that deer. And finally he scored. So how can these people, week after week, year after year, score these tremendous trophies?

I have more respect sometimes for people like Chet, and others that shot "really nice bucks" and did it by, yes being in the right spot, but also being willing to go out and do the work. Walk the area, know the area, and the times the deer move. Some of those bucks to me are real trophies.

But then, if they did not shoot a monster buck, would we watch the show? I mean MD was excited not about watching them shoot a monster buck, but seeing it done with a flintlock or a traditional rifle. I bet it was a real let down when he did see the show. I missed it on the Outdoor Channel. But then, did I really miss it?