HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - lookin for a little help, maybee getting a new 700
Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 AM
WV Hunter
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by slowr1der
See, I don't see how this is impressive, but maybe it's just me. My Savage right out of the box, with no gunsmith work, no trigger work, no hand lapping the barrel, and just shooting not following any break in procedure, shot .8" groups with both factory Federal Power Shok and Winchester Power Point ammo. With reloads it got down to constant .4-.5" groups at 100 yards, which is 1/2MOA.

That said, it's no way I'd buy a new Remington, but that's just my opinion.
Agree that 1 moa is not overly impressive (but its very good), and it sounds like your gun is a real shooter. A guy in our hunting camp bought a 700 ADL (the cheap one) a few years ago in .270. With nothing done to it at all and factory remington core lokt ammo, it shot a .6" group at 100yds. I couldn't believe it. My gun will do that, but I've had trigger work and shoot handloads. Just goes to show you that it doesn't matter the make/model....some guns are shooters. Others, you can work on em till kingdom comes to get a MOA shooter.