HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help in NH
Thread: Help in NH
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Mury
Spike

Default Help in NH

Hey team

I am new to hunting/shotguns – all of it pretty much. I hunt pheasant, or try to.

Got into this all as a way to get outside more & to start making a bit more connection with where my food is coming from, etc. Bought a Rem870 express, and took the ed safety course, got my license, and was ready to go!

That said: I’ve been out 3 times. I do not (and cannot afford) a dog. [We have 2 already and a 3rd is not do-able right now; both are Chinooks with a strong predator drive]. All 3 times, I have not seen ANY pheasants. In NH, they stock certain areas. I have been to these places, and I have seen nothing. Not even from a distance.

I am a bit discouraged. I am not sure what to do or who even to get advice/help from. I’m not really interested in going to a game preserve. Feels a bit rigged that way. Not sure if it’s “this area” … or if I’m doing something “wrong.”

I thought I’d see/flush at least a few birds my first season. But z-e-r-o.

Thoughts, advice, strong opinions … lay it on me.

PS — I have considered simply hunting goose … as they seem to be a bit more abundant (naturally) than other birds I’ve researched for this area. Feel free to weigh in on this as well.