HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Have you seen this?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 05:14 AM
NEK
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
that is something to see. I knew they did it like that. I also saw a series of pictures of wolves doing that. They were basically eating the deer alive.
That's exactly what most apex predators do.
Back in (I think) 1985 - We had just closed up a job site at Milepost 200 on the Alyeska Pipeline, and a busload of us were headed for town and the road at that point was closely following the Dietrich river bed.Suddenly - a cow Moose ran out of a tangle of willows on a gravel bar in the river and a small pack of wolves was all around her - the bus driver stopped so we could watch it and some folks took pictures- the Wolves took her down out on the open gravel bar after one hell of a fight and as soon as she was down, they ripped her belly open and dragged out the unborn calf and ate that first. Unfortunately- a lot of the people on the bus were really grossed out (girls were screaming and crying) so the bus driver drove on and I missed the rest of it.
Ol Ma nature can be a cruel one at times - I guess maybe that balances out all the beauty we see.
I don't believe that old theory - that the wolves and Coyotes and Bears take (only) the sick and old animals. They are opportunists and will take whatever they can catch at any time.
The Yotes and Wolves definitly need to be thinned out in some places.