HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - OOPS! I now have 5 ACCs...
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Rangeball
Nontypical Buck

Default OOPS! I now have 5 ACCs...

I shoot daily in an empty building next to our office. From front the back I can get about a 30 yard shot. I shoot into a bag target in the back of the building, sitting on a pile of lumber. I have to shoot through a doorway, which is no problem.

I decided today to play around with my trigger tension a bit. I set it lighter, tested it on the bowstring, it felt good, so I pulled back, paying attention to make sure the arrow was as pointed towards the bag as possible, anchored, and let fly. I hit the target, so I decided to shoot another shot, Inspired by the fact that the trigger wasn' t too light. Right.

As I pulled back and started to anchor, the release went off all on it' s own, freaking the stuff out of me. I heard a loud whack, and saw an orange object flying through the air. Pulling my best CSI impression, I found that the arrow had just nicked the door jamb, sending the orange G nock flying, hit and broke the door trim of another door parallel to the target and lodged in the wood panelled back wall of the building with about 1/3 of the shaft sticking in the wall. I started to pull the shaft out, and smiled as it looked to be pretty straight. I soon hit resistance, and had to pull the tip back through the hole. Unfortunately, the tip of the arrow had slammed to a screaching halt in the concrete block outer wall of the building, shoving the tip and insert back into the shaft by a good inch or so, splintering the shaft in the process.

So, chalk one up to experience. Heavy trigger is good. Light is bad. Concrete beats ACCs. No one was harmed in the performance of this idiotic experiment, which will go down in flames as the " $12 shot" .