HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Game Wardens above the law?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Jeff Ovington
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to play devils advocate..
Did he have a firearm, or bow in his possession?
Your not hunting if you don't have these..
Yeah some Officers do think they are above the Law..
Not all though.. Some are respect their badges and limitations..
Limitations such as CO's not allowed to stop vehicles on highways or set up roadblocks on a hunch you may be going to or from a hunting place, without a visual of a dead animal in your possession in your vehicle.They can only Legally check your vehical and Rifles in the presance of a Police Officer who sets up some sort of roadblock. A CO has no legal right to stop you..If you have no animal and he throws on his lights and wants you to

pull over to side of the highway, to inspect, just wave to him and drive on by..
Some Officers try, and hunters that don't know this law allow them to search and inspect..But most Officers abide by it..
I don't know what your Laws are as far as non hunters in the bush,
but up here, there is no Law as far as what non hunters can or can't
wear during hunting season..
I hunt fish, and dog train with CO's, Fishery and Wildlife Biologists and Police Officers.
Not all the time do they do carry weapons..
Maybe he was in uniform but off duty just walking dogs..
Alot of hunters including the officers I hunt with and myself enjoy just
walking our dogs in the Bush during hunting season without actually hunting..It's up to the hunter to recognize the fact other people enjoy the bush as much as they do for different reasons..
Maybe he was on Duty without a Weapon..
If your not in possession of a Firearm or Bow, walking a dog in the bush without a leash is allowed during hunting season..
Unless you see a weapon, don't assume..
I don't think this person broke any law in any way shape or form..
He obviously upset you.. But Public Property is just that, Public..
And there is different Laws that must be recognized to those that don't or aren't hunting..

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 12-06-2011 at 09:26 PM.