HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30/30 Vs. .270
Thread: 30/30 Vs. .270
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I'll concede that momentum P = mass * velocity, however, your point is moot (says the professional engineer that paid attention in high school physics)...

Mathematically, yes, WEIGHT is the gravitational reference effect upon an object's mass. WEIGHT, from the mathematical sense, is considered W = M G, where M is mass and G is the gravitational field. Pounds, as reference to 7000grns per pound, is actually a WEIGHT measure, not a mass measure.

Since we live on earth, and aren't comparing how much a bullet weighs on earth to what it weighs on the moon, we see that W = M * 1, since the reference gravitation field on earth G = 1, therefore Weight on earth in pounds, or grains, is equal to it's mass, and therefore momentum = bullet weight times velocity.

Technically, when I use my analytical balance to "weigh" my bullets, I am actually MASSING them, not "weighing", since a balance measures the object against a reference mass, whereas a typical powder SCALE would simply be weighing the object. Not surprisingly, my analytical balance shows the same mass as the weight displayed on my powder scales. My balance will show the same MASS whether I'm on earth or on the moon, but my scales would not. But then again, I don't do much reloading on the moon.

On a side note, the traditional "doctor's scale" is a misnomer, because those cold white and black "scales" are actually BALANCES, not scales, using a complex of levers to MASS the patient against the sliding reference weights on the balance arm. Again, the BALANCE would show the same mass for the patient no matter what planet they were on. "Bathroom scales" indeed are sprung scales, and will show differing weights for different planets, based on their gravitational field.

But again, no, heavier is NOT better for "busting brush" as has been proven over and over again in the last decade. Higher momentum is better, and having a smaller diameter to reduce the likelihood of impact... Not "heavier"...

Last edited by Nomercy448; 12-06-2011 at 07:31 PM.