HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Characteristics of an Excellent Deer hunter
Old 12-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Sfury
Typical Buck

I do what you do, mostly at any rate. I don't mind taking the logging trail in and out to where my tack line is.

Sure, my tackline is hidden from the main trail, but it is there. You just have to know where to walk off the trail to find it.

Most people don't come back as far as I am. At least not those outside of my camp.

It's funny, I've had many people call me a lazy hunter. I'm a stand hunter who does more scouting in the fall than most "hunters" do in five years. I have a 17' ladder stand that I go to before light breaks, and if I have to, I wait until dark to come out. I stay where I am, and I generally see deer.

I know where the deer like to move to and from and sit in a crossroads. No pressure, no problem because the deer come through my area on their own. A lot of pressure, great! They also move by me on different trails. My stand is actually tough to hunt if it is quiet. I have deer coming from all around me. The only direction they don't come from is straight south from me where the marshy area is. It just happens to be my best area to shoot a deer in though.

Last year my buck was pushed to me from the north. This year my first buck was pushed to me from the west. My second buck came to me from the east on his own. He was chasing a doe in heat. Next year, who knows!

As far as scent control goes, you don't need to do much. Just don't let your gear get saturated in normal day to day smells. I got made this year by the first doe and fawn that came in downwind of me. Nothing I could do about it. It was a strong and steady wind going the wrong direction for them. I was not going to shoot either one of them anyways, so not a big problem. Once the wind died down, four more deer came from the same trail. The last one being the second buck I shot from the ground.

What can you really do when Mother Nature rains on your parade?

To all those who call us stand hunters lazy, all I can say is, keep pushing the bucks to us lazy hunters! I appreciate a nice rack after all!