HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Game Wardens above the law?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 AM
petasux
Nontypical Buck

Game wardens are people, just like everything else theres good and bad.Once when I was 12 {god thats a long time ago} I had my deer license confiscated.We had left that morning and dad had grabbed both licenses off the counter.They were in the glove box and we were on our way to meet our hunting party.We werent even actively hunting yet just driving down a gravel road on the way to our buddies house.The warden had another group pulled over allready and as we came upon them he stopped us and asked for our licenses.When dad pulled em outta the glove box he took mine and wrote dad a ticket for being in possesion of multiple licenses even though I was sitting beside him, we werent hunting, and the licenses were in the glove box and not even in anyones possesion.Our biggest crime that day was driving down the road with orange vests on.The guy was just being a prick, he was new and on a power trip.It took a long time before I had any respect for them after that and to this day I will not wear any orange while Im inside a vehichle.It was later thrown out of court and the judge reprimanded the warden when he got anattitude in the court room but it cost me a year of gun hunting all the same.

A few years later we were hunting a river bottom and I got turned around and wound up coming out on the wrong property.The land I was on was owned by a warden who happened to br driving by at the time I walked out.he asked if I knew whos field I was in, i said no and told him I got turned around in the timber and figured I was about 1/2 mile off where I shoulda come out.He coulda wrote me up for tresspassing, took my licenses etc... but he just asked if I had seen anything and gave me a ride back to the right driveway. To this day if he stops me its generally a quick check of my license and about 20 minutes of chatting about what weve seen and how the deer/pheasant numbers are looking that year.He is a good guy, good at his job, and if he ever gives you a ticket you can bet you deserve it.

As far as GW wearing orange vests in the field why would they?Theyre dealing with armed people everyday, there out in remote areas, and generally alone.Theres more than just "legal hunters" out there.Poachers, drug runners, meth labs, you name it they run into it.Pretty sure i wouldnt care to walk up on a group of tweekers at a meth lab presenting them a blaze orange target to focus on.Id much rather go undetected as long as possible while I figured out what exactly I was looking at.