HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why so Inaccruate?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
i feel that 3-9's are good out to 300. You just need to practice. i feel that any hunter that practices can be very efficient out to that range with a 3-9. Yesterday i took my .270 with a 3-9 and got a 4 inch group at 375 yards. my dad just 3 days ago took a deer at 320 meters. i don't think many people are likely to take shots over 300 yards, sometimes in the west for mule deer,elk, etc.
I'd disagree that "not many people take shots over 300yrds unless they're out west after mule deer or elk". Stroll over to our small game and predator section, a LOT of 300yrd plus shooters over there, Ridge, Stapher, Sheridan, and probably a dozen others have posted pics on here of game taken "way down town", and not only on mule deer or elk out west. Heck your own post states both you and your dad are shooting over 350yrds... That 4" group is still a 1% margin for error, and is the same level of accuracy to deliver a 1" group at 100yrds (regarding consistent POA hold)... Again, not a difficult shot, but could be easier.

Originally Posted by Lance_23
ok heres a scenario, Im shooting a rifle with iron sights at 25 yrds my groups are nearly on top of each other, ok i move the target to 50 yrds and my groups are still good (lets just say still touching), ok i then move the target to the 100 yrd mark and the groups are all not even close to each other
This is what I'm talking about. In this scenario, the shooter is obviously capable of shooting well and doesn't have a problem with an unstable rest or shifting sights, since he's shooting ragged holes at 25 and 50yrds, but then at 100yrds, the groups are opening up, for no other perceivable reason than the shooter can't see well enough to ensure POA is exactly centered consistently on target.

We all agree that a scope adds to the shooters ability to improve their accuracy. I don't see why people get so hung up on a 3-9x, if a little helps in this case, a little more helps more. There's no reason to suggest a 3-9x scope is better than a more powerful scope, except that guys are cheap and higher mag scopes cost more. If you want to save money, throw rocks.